I recently emailed thousands of our AMP plugin users asking few questions and the number one issue that they were facing was Validation issues in Search console but I have specifically asked them if they are doing anything about and 90% of them are not doing anything about it. They are counting on AMPforWP to solve it for them because they are not technical enough to solve it. So then I sent another email where I asked everyone to give me access to their webmaster tools.
I literally went through 100’s of search console reports and found out that there was a “Content Mismatch” issue reported in Search console. I have been trying to fix this for last 3 weeks, but this issue is very strange, because the canonical URL and AMP URL have the same content but Google is still reporting this issue, there is no documentation or instructions available in Search console which can help us solve this issue, but due to the lack of from Search console’s side, we are not able to solve it.
We have two options:
- 1. Leave it as it is, which is not possible because we can’t just leave just Validation errors like that.
- 2. Disable the Category and Tags support with proper redirection back to the normal page until we have some possible solution from the Google Search console or their documentation. Also, Category and tags are not the highest visited pages in any website.
So, after hours of discussion, we decided to go with the second option until we have better solution from them. Now, we are constantly trying to improve the plugin and the user experience for you.
What changed in this version?
- Disabled the Tags and Categories support for AMP for better validation until we find a better solution.
- Mobile redirection bug fixed, It was continuously redirecting to the same page [Bug fix]
- trailingslashit added to make sure we have proper url for Mobile redirection [Bug fix]
- In content AD overlapping the content issue fixed
You keep reporting the bugs and we will keep fixing them